Drop Off Distance Blade v Cavity Back

Drop Off Distance Blade v Cavity Back by PGA professional Mark Crossfield AskGolfGuru. Mark tests if there is a big difference between a blade compared to a cavity back. Is the craze of MOI all it is made out to be. Play your best golf with the best equipment for your golf game.

facebooktwitter

8 comments on “Drop Off Distance Blade v Cavity Back

• I play Titleist 714 AP1 (1/2″ long 2ยบ up) at the moment, got them when I took up the game 2 years ago, my game has changed a lot (24 to 14hcp) and I hit the MP25’s (1/2″ long std lie) on a monitor against my AP1 7i, the MP25 7i was blowing past my AP1 (175 v’s 187) and the 6i was going 203 when I hit is pure. but I’m was unsure if I’d get the forgiveness I need. ( I was swing well that day, I don’t always!!) This really helps, thanks! If I can get to a 13, the MP25’s will be my reward!

• Paul Evans says:

Interesting video in that it challenges old assumptions etc. That is what I love about your approach to the game of golf and golf equipment. I realize you attempted a toe strike with each iron and the difference was insignificant. I wonder, though, how dispersion and distance would look for a high handicapper like myself who hits the ball all over the club face. Would be interesting to see a high handicapper hit ten shots with each iron.

• Mark, Could you at some stage do a test of any single iron, say a 5 iron with a steel shaft of your choice, [ any old iron, any old iron as the song goes ] plus a fairway wood with a graphite shaft; logging 15 solid swings with each, then removing the shafts, getting them both spine aligned or “Pured”, then repeating the test with the same clubs; comparing the four results.

Spine aligning or Puring, or both, up to you.

Then, if there is an advantage in dispersion/flight/spin/whatever, could you comment on this PLUS the fact that modern Driver and some fairway wood adjustment systems rely on rotating the hosel around the shaft to obtain variations to loft/lie/face angle.

• Really interesting this, I would like to see this test replicated with a mid and a higher handicapper, just to see if the numbers were similar.

• I couldn’t agree more with this test – for me blades give a much better feel/sound/consistency over cavity backed clubs. I’ve used blades virtually from the off playing golf and I really wouldn’t changed.

I was fitted for MP5 and brought a hybrid set using MP-H5’s in the lower irons including a 1 iron – if I were doing it again I’d stick to all MP5’s as they feel fantastic.
    As do the MP4’s I got to use for a while!

• Less difference than what I would have thought. As others mentioned, it would be interesting to see a comparison with mid to high handicappers. I think the difference would be more pronounced.

I will say I like blades, but being left-handed the choices are limited (Titleist or Titleist)

• Mark Im a 14 handicapper currently playing Ping G irons and have never experienced such easy clubs to hit with loads of distance. The issue is inconsistent yardages leave me uncertain about iron choice during a round. Would a change to forged help with more accurate yardages? Im considering the mizuno 900 forged.

• These days of austerity and also relative stress and anxiety about running into debt, many people balk about the idea of having a credit card in order to make acquisition of merchandise or pay for any occasion, preferring, instead only to rely on the actual tried as well as trusted approach to making settlement – hard cash. However, if you possess the cash on hand to make the purchase completely, then, paradoxically, this is the best time just to be able to use the cards for several reasons.